Steenberg Vineyards, established in 1682, is set in the historic Constantia Valley. The property comprises Winery, Wine Tasting and Cellar Door Sales, Restaurant (Bistro 1682), and Steenberg Hotel. The property clings to the slopes of Steenberg, part of the Table Mountain range, and within the footprint of the Cape Floral Kingdom – a world heritage site.
Architecture and Landscapes
Also known as CVNE, this company owns three ground-breaking estates in Rioja; Vina Real, Cune and Contino. Most of its cellars, and wineries, were built in the 19th century, and a modern design ethic has been introduced. One of the most striking parts of their buildings in an ageing cellar built by Gustave Eiffel.
Bodegas Olarra is situated on the outskirts of Logroño, right in the heart of the D.O.Ca Rioja and within the sub-zone of the Rioja Alta. Constructed in 1973 by Juan Antonio Ridruejo, Olarra is characterised by the beauty and complexity of its facilities. It occupies a surface area of 54,000 m2 of which 18,000m2 correspond to the plant, and was the first bodega in Rioja to apply architecture to the winemaking process not only as an aesthetic but also as a structural and practical element for production.
Finca Valpiedra is located in the best area of the D.O. Ca. Rioja, in a spectacular meander of the Ebro River. The exceptional conditions of this 80 hectare vineyard come from its microclimate and type of soil formed by layers of boulders and limestone. These stones play a major role in the wine’s quality, as they act as a natural filter and supply the vines with the appropriate quantities of water, sunshine and warmth. These characteristics allowed Finca Valpiedra to be the only Rioja winery that belongs to the “Grandes Pagos de España” (Great Estates from Spain Association).
Cocooned in a contemporary glass and concrete sphere, the deep open barrel cellar becomes apparent immediately as you enter the building and make your way to the slick, yet unadorned tasting lounge. Here massive walls of clear glass reveal a working cellar with ranks of wooden, open top fermenters and create a majestic sense of space through the outstretched views. Appointed in a 10 meter high glass promontory flowing from the wine tasting lounge and gravitational cellar, the restaurant is set against the amphitheatre of vineyards and False Bay in the distance.
Since 1830 the Malenchini family runs this farm, which lays around the Villa Medicea of Lilliano (17 hectares cultivated with vineyards, 42 with olive groves). The main façade lies south in a very simple sixteenth century design and it is enclosed by two small towers preceded by a garden of water lilies. The prestigious fountain with statues is the twin of one in the Boboli Gardens in Florence. The splendid front terrace directly faces Florence. The cellar and the “orciaia”, with the ancient jars for olive oil are just remarkable!