Share this page
We are all looking forward to spending quality and fun times with our loved ones, while dreading planning the whole thing. At some point we have all done the all-inclusive resort, where the kids happily play in the children’s club and the parents relax by the pool. Let’s face it though - towards the end of it, it tends to get a bit boring as you never go out of the resort! Wouldn’t it be easier if the whole family did something they all enjoyed? Cultural visits, city hopping, winery tours, biking and cooking together as a family.
At Winerist we understand that family trips are the best source of anecdotes and lasting memories, so instead of remembering how hard it was planning your vacation we want you to take a step back, relax, enjoy a glass of wine and some amazing local food, with plenty of activities to keep the little ones entertained. You will be surprised at just how much there is to do and see as a family in a wine region!
So here are our top 5 wine GWC destinations for family holiday fun with our top tips for the perfect tour and wine hotel.
1. Where? Rioja, Spain
Our Family Friendly Rioja Wineries Tour is the perfect example that wine tourism can be enjoyed as a whole family. Think of chic, boutique hotels to make your stay a bit more special, plenty of wine (for the grown-ups) and food, and activities for the children. This is a 2 day and 2 nights tour which you can enjoy as a weekend away or as a mini-detour to discover the Riojan wines and culture.
- Connecting hotel rooms so you can keep an eye on your little ones
- Choice of 3 different boutique hotels
- Parents enjoy a wine tour and tasting while the children take part in an art and nature workshop
- Authentic vineyard experience for the whole family
- Children activities (4D movie, art & nature workshop)
- Special children food menu
- Kids welcome pack
- Dinners are not included so you will have to make your own evening arrangements. However, restaurants in the Mediterranean countries are very child friendly as it’s traditional for the whole family to eat out, no matter what the time!
- You must have your own (rental) car but we can always arrange for transfers
This trip is ideal for a family of 4 - 2 adults + 2 children. Prices are: €670 per adult and €520 per child of the age 4-12 including hotel
Hotel Tip: Hotel Viura
- Modern, stylish and luxury hotel offering connecting rooms for families
- Top location to explore Rioja - a few minutes from Logroño and Haro, by car, and only 10 minutes away from the most famous wine cellars from the Rioja region
- Restaurant offering local cuisine and a great selection of wines
- For fun access to the old subterranean water, cycle on one of the guest bikes, do some exercise in the gym or enjoy a movie with the family from their DVD collection
- Babysitting services available on request
- No pets allowed in case you are thinking of bringing your dog
- No outdoor pool
2. Where? Bordeaux, France
- The tour is only 3.5 hours long so the kiddies will not get too tired
- Small group tour limited to 8 people
- Arcachon Bay is very popular with French families where you can roam on the beach and enjoy the sea
- You will climb a sand dune (the little ones love the sand!)
- The tour includes a visit to an oyster farm where you will get to sample fresh oysters. Great for adults but maybe not so much for the kids, hence bring a snack for them.
Hotel Tip: Hotel: Le Boutique Hotel Bordeaux
- In the city centre of Bordeaux but away from the traffic noise, perfect for exploring the city by foot and the museums with the children
- Spacious rooms, unusually large for Bordeaux, which will allow more room for the little ones
- Many great restaurants and brasseries nearby
- You may need to find a babysitter if you want some time alone or take your child with you to explore the magnificent city of Bordeaux.
3. Where? Firenze, Italy
Tour Tip: Florence and Chocolate Secrets
- Chocolate, desserts and ice cream tastings at two chocolate laboratories in Florence - your children will love it!
- Learn how to make your own chocolate with a live demonstration
- Enjoy a family lunch with more fabulous desserts
- 5 hrs tour around Florence
- We cannot think of any if there is chocolate involved!
Hotel Tip: Borgo di Colleoli
- Llarge apartments for 4-6 people, perfect for a family
- Swimming pools
- Restaurant with typical authentic Tuscan cuisine
- Wine tasting on-site
- Perfect location - in the vicinity of Florence, Pisa, Siena and the beach
- You will need a car to travel around
4. Where? Porto, Portugal
- A mixture of wine, food, culture and boating - perfect to discover the Douro region
- Private transportation included
- Lunch at an award-winning winery
- The tour may be a bit on the long side for the little ones, but they can take a rest on the mini bus
Hotel Tip: Quinta de Guimaraes
- Traditional Portuguese manor house in the middle of nature and a family-owned winery
- Apartments for larger groups are available
- Stunning views of the Douro river and the valley
- You can arrange family activities in the countryside such as hiking, canoeing, fishing, boating and cooking
- Nearby wineries, river cruises and golf courses
- Outdoor pool
- Fantastic value for money!
- We cannot fault it!
5. Where? Casablanca, Chile
Tour Tip: Bike & Wine the Casablanca Valley
- Bike with the whole family and private guide through award winning vineyards of Casablanca
- Chile has a cool climate for viticulture and perfect for biking
- Winery visits and wine tastings
- Enjoy a picnic lunch with the family at one of the wineries
- Private transportation
- Bikes and helmets are provided
- This tour is more adventurous and requires some biking skills from adults and children
Hotel Tip: B&B La Casa del Amirante
- Perfect location - between Valparaiso and Viña del Mar
- Rooms for 3 people or more available
- Family environment
- Cozy and stylish rooms
- A visit to the Naval Museum in Valparaiso would be appreciated by the kids
- Walk on the beach promenade
- Small place that may not have all the facilities you need such as a pool
Enjoy! If you would like to book a family holiday, have any special requests or questions about planning a wine holiday with your family please feel free to get in touch with us at Winerist here.
Written by: Tatiana Livesey, Winerist co-founder