Plan your wine tour
The city of Mainz is a vibrant German wine centre that borders the great wine rivers of the Rhine and the Main. No less than 6 wine regions surround the cathedral city – among them Rheinhessen, Germanys largest wine-growing area.
Today a young generation of winegrowers has reinvigorated the region with its creativity, passion and know-how, getting the fullest expression out of local grape varieties like Riesling, Müller Thurgau and Spätburgunder (Pinot Noir).
The city of Mainz is known for its history, its university, its great food and drink scene and the excellence of its cultural centres such as the cathedral or the Gutenberg Museum. A lovely hilly surrounding invites for hiking or cycling and completes an interesting stay.
Besides Mainz is home of the German Wine Fund and the Association of German Predicate Wine Estates, which brings together the top winemakers of Germany with the wine merchants of the world.
POPPE & Co.
POPPE & Co. is a German tour operator located directly in Mainz. We have been organising worldwide group and FIT travel for German clients since 1965. Our portfolio ranges from themed trips for leisure clients such as wine tours, cultural events, architecture tours, cruises and train tours to the organisation of incentive trips, congresses and professional excursions for business partners.
Our sister company Wedgewood Germany is a destination management company organising incoming business in the fields of incentive travel, events, wine tours, congresses and conferences for international clients.
Whether you plan a private trip or a business event in the wonderful Great Wine Capital Mainz in Rheinhessen, we are your competent partner.
- Arrival in Mainz and check- in at the 5 star Hotel Hyatt (Global Best of Wine Tourisme Accommodation 2011).
- Welcome in the vinothek at the Proviantamt (Best of Wine Tourisme Services 2017).
- Depending on arrival time you’ll have a guided walking tour exploring the old city of Mainz including the famous cellar of the house Kupferberg. In the medieval vault lies the deepest wine cellar in the world. In total there are more than seven different floors with about 60 cellar rooms, which are up to 50 m below the surface.
- Dinner at the restaurant Geberts Weinstuben (Best of Wine Tourisme Restaurants 2009).
- After breakfast start a 30 minutes trip to Bingen. Visit the winery Hemmes (Global Best of Wine Tourisme Sustainable 2010) and taste some nice wines. The winery is an old, heritage-protected school building which was restored with great commitment – in analogy to the original use, a wine school was established in two former classrooms.
- Only a few kilometres away the Rhine flows in a picturesque environment. Take a walk on the Rhine shore and enjoy the atmosphere. Pass by at the Vinothek Bingen (Best of Wine Tourisme Art and Culture 2012) and have a memorable wine-tasting: The view to the castle Ehrenfels and the Niederwald monument offers a dreamlike ambience.
- Short drive from 10 minutes to Ingelheim for lunch at the winery Wasem, a former Cistercian monastery (Best of Wine Tourisme Architecture and Landscape 2013).
- Back to Mainz and free time for own experiences and activities.
- Overnight Hotel Hyatt.
- Check out and drive 15 km south of Mainz to the historical town of Oppenheim. Visit the Oppenheimer cellar labyrinth: a system of cellars, corridors and staircases of up to five levels under the city and about 40 kilometers long. Step back to the middle age when exploring this fascinating cellars and the old stone steps. See the famous Katharinen church, which is one of the most important gothic buildings next to the Cologne and the Strasbourg Cathedral.
- Lunch in a typical wine restaurant.
- After lunch see the world famous vineyard „Roter Hang” where the grapes of international top wines are growing. Take a short hike on the beautiful Rheinterrassenweg with a fantastic view of the Rhine and enjoy a wine-tasting in nature.
- Drive 25 minutes and check-in at the hotel Gut Leben am Morstein (Best of Wine Tourisme 2019 in two categories: Restaurants and Art and Culture). The hotel is a wonderful restored villa with old timbered walls and a lot of comfort.
- Dinner at the hotel restaurant Schlösschen.
- After breakfast visit „Schloss Herrnsheim“ after a ten minutes drive. From the ruins of the original castle of 1460 a baroque castle was built from 1711. Over the centuries, today’s complex developed after several devastations. It is one of the most outstanding Empire castles in the area.
- 15 minutes away you’ll have a nice picnic lunch next to the winery Grünewald & Schnell (Best of Wine Tourisme Sustainable 2013). Meet the winegrower for interestings details regarding his philosophy.
- In the afternoon a 30 minutes drive to the winery Dr. Hinkel (Global Best of Wine Tourisme Experiences, 2015). Be part of his unique color wine tasting and experience how light influences the perception and judgment of the taste.
- Afterwards you have the possibility to enjoy the hilly surroundings by a carriage ride listening to funny stories (minimum participants: 6 persons).
- Dinner in the restaurant Vis à Vis (Best of Wine Tourisme Restaurants 2017). Here you find the successful combination of a historical chapel with modern furnishing and delicous regionally inspired food. A comprehensive and Rheinhessen influenced wine list completes a great stay in the former wine trading house.
- Overnight Hotel Gut Leben am Morstein.
- After breakfast transfer to the airport.
- 4 star Hotel Novotel, Mainz
4 star Hotel City Hilton, Mainz
3 star Hotel Domhof, Guntersblum
3 star Hotel Landhotel im Klostereck, Flonheim
- Wine safari: with a jeep on safari through the vineyards. You’ll see the hilly surroundings with its hidden beautys und you’ll stop at outstanding spots for wine-tastings. Weingut Mohrenhof Lonsheim (Best of Wine Tourisme Experiences 2016).
- Wine-tasting in darkness at the winery Eva Vollmer (Best of Wine Tourisme Experiences 2017). Depends on number of participants.
- Hiking: There are 9 beautiful walking tours called „Hiwweltour“. They vary from 7 to 13 kilometres on paths through the beautiful nature. Food an wine can be arranged at the idyllic picnic points.
- Cycling: 8 cycling routes from 32 to 68 kilometres traversing hills, valleys, vinyards. On request ebikes are available.
- Oldtimerbus: a nostalgic trip with the vintage bus. You’ll meet four winegrowers for a wine-tasting including a delicious dish at every place as well as accompanying wines. The event depends on number of participants.
Depending on the attending guests there are different opportunities of traveling: rental car and own driving, private car with chauffeur, mini bus.
The hotels and program points can be exchanged.
Let us know your preferences, we built up a costumized program.